About Your Coach:
I am so excited to lead our K-6 Landsharks this year as a brand new coach. I tried running in college as a way to manage my stress and anxiety. Not believing that I was athletic enough to accomplish much in this sport, I kept surprising myself with how much farther I could keep going and eventually ran a half marathon, which I never thought possible! As a teacher at Leman, I absolutely love kids, and have a firm belief that we can learn so many valuable life lessons from activities like running. My mission is for all runners to have a safe, fun, uplifting experience while developing a love for running, teamwork and a healthy lifestyle!
Meet on the Leman Academy outdoor turf or in the gym in cold weather.
Meets are tentatively scheduled for Sundays at 3:00 pm
Sunday, September 22nd
Sunday, September 29th
Sunday, October 6th
1/2 mile, K & 1st grade
1 mile, 2nd-6th grade
1.5 mile, 2nd-6th grade
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 10-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 10-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 30 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 30-minute count, reset the clock and another 30-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.
At practice we will have a quick warm-up/stretch, running games/workouts, and a closure with a strong focus on fun. Runners train in ability groups with peers and move up to the next group based on improvements in the program!
Practices are cancelled if the wind chill is under 30 degrees, and/or if it is physically snowing or raining.
Running shoes: We will train on the areas around the school. We encourage you to purchase running shoes for your runner(s). Please check your child’s current running shoes for wear. Expect to pay at least $50 for a good shoe that will last for the fall and spring series if worn just for running. Buy them a little large, not tight. We have two running stores sponsoring our program and providing a discount for Landshark runners: Runner’s Roost, and Road Runner.
Dress for Success: Runners need to dress according to the weather (bring layers). We encourage them to change out of their school attire into running clothes before practice begins.
55 degrees and warmer - Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts, and optional running hat.
45-54 degrees - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, shorts or sweat pants.
44 degrees and cooler - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, sweat pants, running hat/head band and gloves. If it is windy, dress one cooler level down.
In order to create a safe environment for our Landshark runners and families, please adhere to the following guidelines for our races. These guidelines are in place to help keep our races organized and fun for the kids and parents.
Cross Country Season
Have fun and cheer in a positive manner for all runners. Every finisher is a winner!
Landsharks parents can use the SportsEngine mobile application to receive text updates, view the schedule and locations of events. The SportsEngine app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Once installed, the easiest way to find Leman Academy is to search for Team ID: 1867130.