Our shirt color is teal
Landsharks parents can use the SportsEngine mobile application to receive text updates, view the schedule and locations of events. The SportsEngine app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Once installed, the easiest way to find Oak Creek is to search for Team ID: 1867157
September 8th, 2020 will be the first practice.
Parents will meet individually with your child's assigned coach at pick-up to receive information regarding rules and expectations. A bus will not be provided this year for extra curricular activities for Elementary schools.
*Please where a mask when coming to pick up your child. *
Tuesday/Thursday on the Oak Creek field
* We will not be meeting in the gym. See "Changes to the season due to COVID-19" below*
Due to COVID-19, there will be new procedures in place to allow children to participate in Landsharks safely.
1) The kids will be put into cohorts with a designated coach for practices. Children will only practice with that coach and no more than 10 kids in that cohort.
2) The kids will meet in the cafe at dismissal and go to their assigned coach's table. The coach will then escort their cohort to the restroom to change and then to the specific areas outside for practice. Children will need to bring their belongings with them- which must include a personal water bottle. Water fountains will not be used during practice and kids will not be allowed back into the building.
3) Students will be provided with a paper mask to use during practice. This is per district guidelines and since we are on school grounds, we are asked to follow this protocol. Students wear a mask during P.E. class so they will have practice in wearing a mask during activity. Should a child demonstrate COVID-19 symptoms, the child will be escorted to the building and then will be quarantined while parents are contacted. Coaches will wear masks and gloves during practice. If any equipment is used, it will be sanitized between uses of groups.
4) Unfortunately, parents will not be allowed to watch practice from the field or bring other children-siblings- to play on the playground during practice. Please remain in your cars until pick-up time. At the end of practice, parents can drive by the side fence of the playground/field and we will release students directly from practice to cars by the fence NOT in the front of the school.
5) There will be NO MEETS this season. Instead, there will be virtual competitions and time trials run at practices. Coaches will time their own groups for these challenges and the results will be uploaded to the Landsharks website in place of in person competition with other schools. If your child is an e-learner, there will also be an option for virtual practices so that kids can practice from home.
6) The 2020 Fall XC season will only be 5 weeks long and will begin two weeks after the start of school. Due to the shortened season, financial aid will not be available for the Fall XC season.
If a credit was issued for the 2020 Track season , you may use it for this season or transfer it to the 2021 Track season in hopes of returning to regular competition/meets.
7) Since there are three coaches with Oak Creek, a maximum number of 30 kids will be allowed to participate in the 2020 Fall XC season. Everything is on a first come, first serve basis. Registration will be cut off at 30 participants or on September 1st. NO LATE REGISTRATION will be accepted this season.
***Please be flexible and understanding during this time. As more information related to COVID-19 is released and cases are updated, the guidelines set above may change.***
Above all, we WANT kids to be able to participate in such a fun program without risking their health or the health of coaches.
Dress for Success: Runners need to dress according to the weather. If it is raining or the wind chill is under 30 degrees we will be practicing in the gym. We encourage them to change out of their school attire into running clothes. Clothing guidelines:
55 degrees and warmer - Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts, and optional running hat.
45-54 degrees - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, shorts or sweat pants.
44 degrees and cooler - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, sweat pants, running hat/head band and gloves. If it is windy, dress one cooler level down.
Running shoes: We will train on the areas around the school. The races are held at local parks and other facilities with large grass fields and dirt trails. We encourage you to purchase running shoes for your runners. Please check your child’s current running shoes for wear. Expect to pay at least $50 for a good shoe that will last for the fall and spring series if worn just for running. Buy them a little large, not tight. Colorado Running Company is sponsoring our program and providing a 15% discount for Landshark runners.
Parents, we need you! Please consider volunteering for our coaching staff or support crew. No experience is required, just lots of encouragement. With numerous runners expected to participate, every volunteer makes a difference in our program. We will need volunteers at the races, too. Thanks for letting us have the privilege of serving your child.
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.