There will NOT be practices on Mondays once races begin
Practices will take place at the high school
K-3rd grade will be escorted over by designated coaches
4-6th will meet outside the high school and walk down to the track
Each week we will focus on a different aspect that contributes to building athletes of character. These traits go hand in hand with the moral development that Vanguard embodies.
Additionally, a runner that exemplifies these traits during practices and meets will be celebrated as our runner of the week!! This includes their picture and an exert of their accomplishments appearing on the homepage.
Goal Setting: Strive for personal improvement at each race. Implement the SMART principles (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, Timely) when constructing goals.
Responsibility: Fuel your body everyday, hydrate and get enough sleep.
Take care of your surroundings.
Come to practice prepared.
Set personal goals and strive for personal improvement.
Be good stewards of your environment.
Courage: Try new things.
Make new friends.
Make good choices.
Do not give up!
Be a Good Teammate: Encourage others.
Listen to coaches.
Set a good example and participate with a cheerful attitude.
Help others in need.
Respect: Be grateful- thank the volunteers and your parents.
Treat others as you want to be treated.
Have a positive attitude.
Be a good friend.
Integrity: Give 100% and do your best everyday.
Do the right thing, even when no one is watching.
Do not cut corners.
Race Etiquette: Use kind and positive words.
Do not push at the start.
Stay in your lane.
Do not cut off someone trying to pass you.
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.