Landsharks parents can use the SportsEngine mobile application to receive text updates, view the schedule and locations of events. The SportsEngine app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Once installed, the easiest way to find Monument Academy.
Practices M/W 3:30-4:05pm at Monument Academy elementary
First practice 4/11 3:30-4:05pm
Parent meeting 4/11 3:45pm in the library with me while asst coaches are running the practice
We will be using the gym and outside turf field for practices
Parents pick up their runners at the end of practices by following the normal carline procedures
Meets will take place at Lewis Palmer Middle School
Meets will be on the following Sundays afternoons at 3:00 PM on
RUNNERS SHOULD ARRIVE BY 2:30 P.M.
2:35 Coaches Meeting
2:40 Parent Volunteers meet the Site Director for course assignments
2:55 Star Spangled Banner
3:00 Races Begin
Meet #1: 50m dash followed by 400m or 800m
Meet #2: 100m dash followed by 400m or 800m
Meet #3: 400m or 1600m followed by 200m dash
***Heat order will be run at discretion of the Site Director***
Please be sure your child is dressed for practice as practices will be held outside only.
In case of inclement weather, and practice is canceled, we will do our best to notify families in a timely fashion so after school pick up arrangements can be planned.
Runners should wear comfortable clothing and good running shoes and bring a water bottle!
Parents, please be prompt when picking up your children from practice.
Dress for Success: Runners need to dress according to the weather. We encourage them to change out of their school attire into running clothes before practice begins.
55 degrees and warmer - Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts, and optional running hat.
45-54 degrees - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, shorts or sweat pants.
44 degrees and cooler - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, sweat pants, running hat/head band and gloves. If it is windy, dress one cooler level down.
Running shoes: We will train on the areas around the school. We encourage you to purchase running shoes for your runner(s). Please check your child’s current running shoes for wear. Expect to pay at least $50 for a good shoe that will last for the fall and spring series if worn just for running. Buy them a little large, not tight. We have two running stores sponsoring our program and providing a discount for Landshark runners: Colorado Running Company in Colorado Springs and the Runner’s Roost in Lone Tree.
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.
In order to create a safe environment for our Landshark runners and families, please adhere to the following guidelines for our races. These guidelines are in place to help keep our races organized and fun for the kids and parents.