Tuesdays and Thursdays
at the Bear Creek ES Track
Practice begins at 7:45 am
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. Assign one staff to monitor weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 10-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. Quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the race has been suspended, wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20 minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with coaches during the coaches meeting and during announcements reiterate the plan to the spectators.
7. Be clear about the evacuation process depending on your site lay out.
8. Remind parents that they will be directed to their cars and that you will text coaches with the all clear to resume racing.
9. When the all clear is given, please then sound your air horn to signal the all clear to the spectators.