February 10th at 9:00 am.
First Practice: Monday, April 11th
Where: Trailblazer DC - meet by baseball diamond after school
4/11, 4/13, 4/18, 4/20, 4/25, 5/2, 5/9 and 5/16
Practice Time: 3:45-4:45 pm
Ensure runners come to school dressed for practice.
Pick your child up promptly at 4:45 pm
Notify the Leaders if your runner is going home on their own or if someone other than a parent is picking them up.
Landsharks parents can use the SportsEngine mobile application to receive text updates, view the schedule and locations of events. The SportsEngine app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Once installed, search for Trailblazer - Douglas County.
Runners need to dress according to the weather. We encourage them to change out of their school attire into running clothes before practice begins.
55 degrees and warmer - Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts, and optional running hat.
45-54 degrees - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, shorts or sweat pants.
44 degrees and cooler - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, sweat pants, running hat/head band and gloves. If it is windy, dress one cooler level down.
Running shoes: We will train on the areas around the school. We encourage you to purchase running shoes for your runner(s). Please check your child’s current running shoes for wear. Expect to pay at least $50 for a good shoe that will last for the fall and spring series if worn just for running. Buy them a little large, not tight. We have three running stores sponsoring our program and providing a discount for Landshark runners: Colorado Running Company in Colorado Springs and the Runner’s Roost.
Meets are scheduled at Cresthill Middle School
on Wednesdays at 5:30 pm on:
Our schedule of events:
5:00 - Runners and Coaches Arrive
5:05 - Coaches Meeting
5:15 - Parent Volunteers meet the Site Director for course assignments
5:25 - Star Spangled Banner
5:30 - Races Begin
Meet #1: 50m dash followed by 400m OR 800m
Meet #2: 100m dash followed by 400m OR 800m
Meet #3:400m OR 1600m followed by 200m dash
***Heat order will be run at discretion of the Site Director***
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.
In order to create a safe environment for our Landshark runners and families, please adhere to the following guidelines for our races. These guidelines are in place to help keep our races organized and fun for the kids and parents.