Coach Catie started running regularly at age 12 as a way to spend more time with her mom, an avid runner. She went on to run competitively in junior high, high school and college as a Northwestern University Wildcat. In track she ran the 1,600 meters, 3,200 meters, 800 meters and 3,200 meter relay. She coached high school track and cross country for Regina Dominican High School in Wilmette, IL, with several of her athletes going on to compete at the collegiate level. Catie enjoys running, hiking, basketball and swimming, especially with her 5 kids! Her favorite part of Landsharks is seeing her runners grow and have fun.
The World Compass Academy chapter of the Landsharks Running Club is open to K-6 students of WCA and all other local schools that do not have their own Landsharks program. Landsharks Running Club is not sponsored by World Compass Academy as an official club/after school activity.
Financial assistance is available to increase accessibility to all families.
Landsharks parents can use the SportsEngine mobile application to receive text updates, view the schedule and locations of events. The SportsEngine app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Once installed, the easiest way to find World Compass is to search for Team ID: 1867192.
The Landsharks Running Club develops young athletes in positive, safe, character-based programs. The focus is on having fun, improving personal skills, being an encouraging teammate, making new friends, and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
Coaches are background checked and first aid certified.
Wednesday, September 3
Practices will be held Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 4:00 pm until 4:45 pm at Butterfield Park in the Meadows.
Runners will assemble at the picnic pavilion at the north end of the park, near the pool. During practice, we will warm-up, complete our workout and games, cool down, and be released to the same assembly area. Please pick up your runner by 4:45 pm. Please have your child bring a water bottle, labeled with his/her name on it, to every practice!
Practices are cancelled if the wind chill is under 30 degrees, and/or if it is actively snowing or raining. You will receive a notification via the SportsEngine app or text message if practice is cancelled.
Monday - Wednesday - Friday
at Butterfield Park
4:00 - 4:45 pm
Runners should have proper running shoes for practices and meets. Spikes (special racing shoes) are not recommended. Running shoes are sold at many stores; however, Runner's Roost in Lone Tree is our sponsor store and provides a discount to Landsharks participants, coaches and parents.
We encourage runners to change out of their school attire into running clothes before practice begins, if possible.
Dress for the weather:
55 degrees and warmer - Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts, and optional running hat.
45-54 degrees - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, shorts or sweat pants.
44 degrees and cooler - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, sweat pants, running hat/head band and gloves. If it is windy, dress one cooler level down.
Meets are currently scheduled at Douglas County Fairgrounds on:
Sunday, September 22nd at 3:00 pm
Sunday, September 29th at 3:00 pm
Sunday, October 6th at 3:00 pm
1/2 mile, K & 1st grade
1 mile, 2nd-6th grade
1.5 mile, 2nd-6th grade
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 30 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 30-minute count, reset the clock and another 30-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.
Thanks for your support and cheering for all our runners!
Parent Guidelines: In order to create a safe environment for our Landshark runners and families, please adhere to the following guidelines for our races. These guidelines are in place to help keep our races organized and fun for the kids and parents.
1. Please park in the designated area.
2. Upon arrival, please locate your runner(s) school coach to receive their race bib and then parents must proceed to designated spectator viewing area. The only adults allowed on the infield are coaches and/or volunteers with a Landsharks T-shirt.
3. Exchange runners should check-in with the Site Director, who is in the Tie-dye or Bright yellow T-shirt. Your runner will receive their bib at that time. All runners are required to have a bib prior to racing. Bibs should be pinned on the back of the runner's shirt for ease of removal in the finish chute.
4. See Race Schedule
5. No parents or non-competing runners are allowed on the in field with the runners. Please remain on the hill in the parent viewing area for the safety of the kids and the efficiency of race day schedule.
6. Following your runner's race your child will find you in the designated parent viewing area. You are free to stay and watch the remainder of the races or depart if so desired.
7. Have fun and cheer for all runners because, "Finishing is Winning!"