Everyone is a winner at CSCS!
Registration for the Cross Country season opens on August 5, 2019
Handouts will be available at Registration on August 2nd
Parents Information Session on August 28th, at 3:15 in the cafeteria
First practice is September 4th at 3:15
August 5th - Registration opens
August 28th – Information Session
September 4th – Practice 1
September 9th – Practice 2
September 11th – Practice 3
September 16th – Practice 4
September 18th – Practice 5
September 23rd – Meet 1
September 25th – Practice 6
September 30th – Meet 2
October 2nd – Practice 7
October – 7th – Meet 3
October 9th – Pizza Party (3:00-4:15)
October 13th - Fun Run (TBA)
We practice after school, from the end of class until 4:30 pm, on Mondays and Wednesdays, beginning on September 4th. There is no practice on the Mondays that we have meets! Runners gather in the cafeteria after school, and will need to bring a change of clothes (or proper running attire) and a water bottle with them on practice days. Runners are able to change clothes at the end of the school day, before practice begins. On practice days, runners leave their school backpacks in the cafeteria area of the Gym and assemble in the basketball courts next to the Chapel. At practice, we will stretch, warm-up, assemble by ability groups, run, play a lot of fun running games, and then cool down. Practices consist of running games and cross-country workouts with a strong focus on fun. Runners train in ability groups with peers and move up to the next group based on improvements made during the program. Parents are always welcome to attend practices. Runners are picked up between 4:30 and 4:45 every afternoon, at carpool.
Races are held on Monday nights at the Shining Mountain Golf Course, in Woodland Park. Dinner is to parents and children, at a nominal price, by the golf course after each meet. Runners will run one race each night:
• Kindergartners & 1st graders - Half Mile
• 2nd thru 5th Graders – 1 Mile
• An additional 1.5 mile race is offered for advanced runners
At the races, runners receive a race tag with their number, weekly ribbons, a series medal at the final race, a snack and refreshments. Races are on Monday nights. We would like your runners at the golf course no later than 5:00 for warm-ups. All races are finished by done by 6:45 pm. Your runners can leave after their event is over, but are encouraged to stay and cheer on their teammates. Results are posted on our website within 24 hours of completion of each race.
Running Equipment and Attire: Runners need to dress according to the weather. We encourage them to change out of their school attire into running clothes. We will train on the areas around the school, and indoors if the weather is wet or stormy. The races are run on dirt tracks, NOT asphalt! We encourage you to purchase cross-country running shoes for your child. Please check your child’s current running shoes for wear. Shoes without padding and tread may be great for a gym, but not for outdoor running! We have three running stores sponsoring our program and providing a 15% discount for Landshark runners. They are Colorado Running Company and The Runner’s Roost.
Meets will take place at the Shining Mountain Gold Course
Races will be held on Mondays at 5:15 pm on
RUNNERS SHOULD ARRIVE BY 4:45 P.M.
Our schedule of events
4:45 Runners and Coaches Arrive
4:50 Coaches Meeting
5:05 Parent Volunteers meet the Site Director on the infield for course assignments
5:10 Star Spangled Banner
5:15 Races Begin
1/2 mile, kindergarten & 1st grade
1 mile, 2nd-6th grade
1.5 miles, 2nd-6th grade
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.
Thanks for your support and cheering for all our runners!
Parent Guidelines: In order to create a safe environment for our Landshark runners and families, please adhere to the following guidleines for our races. These guidelines are in plce to help keep our races organized and fun for the kids and parents.
1. Please park in the designated area.
2. Upon arrival, please locate your runner(s) school coach to receive their race bib and then parents must proceed to designated spectator viewing area. The only adults allowed on the infield are coaches and/or volunteers with a Landsharks' T-shirt.
3. Exchange runners should check-in with the Site Director, who is in the Tie-dye or Bright yellow T-shirt. Your runner will receive their bib at that time. All runners are required to have a bib prior to racing. Bibs should be pinned on the back of the runner's shirt for ease of removal in the finish chute.
4. See Race Schedule
5. No parents or non-competing runners are allowed on the in field with the runners. Please remain on the hill in the parent viewing area for the safety of the kids and the efficiency of race day schedule.
6. Following your runner's race your child will find you in the designated parent viewing area. You are free to stay and watch the remainder of the races or depart if so desired.
7. Have fun and cheer for all runners because, "Finishing is Winning!"