The Registration "Meadow View Elementary" is not currently available.
Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, our first week of practice will be VIRTUAL! We will be posting simple, fun workouts (including some videos) that can help your Landsharks runner(s) get moving! Stay tuned - workouts will be posted on this page beginning March 30.
Coach Catie started running at age 12 as a way to spend more time with her mom, an avid runner. She went on to run competitively in middle school, high school and college as a Northwestern University Wildcat. In track she ran the 1,600 meters, 3,200 meters, 800 meters and 3,200 meter relay. She coached high school track and cross country for Regina Dominican High School in Wilmette, IL, including several athletes who went on to compete at the collegiate level. Catie enjoys running, hiking, basketball and swimming, especially with her 5 kids! Her favorite part of Landsharks is seeing her runners grow and have fun.
We are thrilled to have Coach Brian returning for his fourth season with Landsharks!
Coach Brian has been actively involved in distance running for over 20 years. He has run the Boston Marathon 10 times and has personal best times of 2:52:11 for the marathon, 1:18:47 for the half marathon, 34:15 for the 10K and 16:41 for 5K. He previously was the head coach and founder of Personal Best Marathon Coaching in Denver, where he successfully coached numerous runners with accomplishments ranging from completing their first 5K to qualifying for the Boston Marathon. He also was an assistant Cross Country Coach at Heritage High School in Littleton, helping the Eagles to a runner-up finish at the state meet in 2010.
Coach Brian enjoys the Landsharks program with its emphasis on having fun, developing character, and focusing on giving your best regardless of time or race place. He is thrilled to be able to coach his two boys and their peers and have them learn the joy of running as he did as a kid.
The Meadow View Elementary chapter of the Landsharks Running Club is open to K-6 students of Meadow View Elementary and all other local schools that do not have their own Landsharks program. Landsharks Running Club is not sponsored by Meadow View Elementary as an official club/after school activity.
Financial assistance is available to increase accessibility to all families.
The Landsharks Running Club develops young athletes in positive, safe, character-based programs. The focus is on having fun, improving personal skills, being an encouraging teammate, making new friends, and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
All coaches are background checked and first aid certified.
Peyton, Henry, and Lucy enjoy post-race Kona Ice
Runners will assemble at the picnic pavilion at the north end of the park, near the pool. During practice, we will warm-up, complete our workout and games, cool down, and be released to the same assembly area. Please pick up your runner by 4:45 pm. Please have your child bring a water bottle, labeled with his/her name on it, to every practice!
Practices are cancelled if the wind chill is under 30 degrees, and/or if it is actively snowing or raining. You will receive a notification via the SportsEngine app or text message if practice is cancelled.
Monday - Wednesday - Friday
at Butterfield Park
4:00 to 4:45 p.m.
NO MONDAY PRACTICES AFTER SUNDAY MEETS
Landsharks parents can use the SportsEngine mobile application to receive text updates, view the schedule and locations of events. The SportsEngine app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Once installed, search for Meadow View Elementary.
Races are at Ponderosa High School on Sundays at 3 pm on the following dates:
RUNNERS SHOULD ARRIVE BY 2:30 P.M.
Our schedule of events
2:30 Runners and Coaches Arrive
2:35 Coaches Meeting
2:40 Parent Volunteers meet the Site Director on the infield for course assignments
2:55 Star Spangled Banner
3:00 Races Begin
Race #1: All Runner’s will race the 50m run, followed by their choice of a 400m OR an 800m run.
Race #2: All Runner’s will race the 100m run, followed by their choice of a 400m OR an 800m run.
Race #3: All Runner’s will race the 200m run, followed by their choice of a 400m OR an 1600m run.
****Event order may vary based on location****
We encourage runners to change out of their school attire into running clothes before practice begins, if possible.
Dress for the weather:
55 degrees and warmer - Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts, and optional running hat.
45-54 degrees - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, shorts or sweat pants.
44 degrees and cooler - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, sweat pants, running hat/head band and gloves. If it is windy, dress one cooler level down.
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.
Thanks for your support and cheering for all our runners!
Parent Guidelines: In order to create a safe environment for our Landshark runners and families, please adhere to the following guidelines for our races. These guidelines are in place to help keep our races organized and fun for the kids and parents.
1. Please park in designated areas only.
2. Upon arrival, please locate your runner(s) school coach to receive race bib and then parents must proceed to designated spectator viewing area. The only adults allowed on in the infield are coaches and/or volunteers with a Landsharks' T-shirt.
3. Exchange runners should check-in with the Site Director, who is in the Tie-dye or Bright yellow T-shirt. Your runner will receive their bib at that time. All runners are required to have a bib prior to racing. Bibs should be pinned on the back of the runners' shirt for ease of removal in the finish chute.
4. Each race night all runners can run two races. A sprint followed by a mid-distance race.
5. No parents or non-competing runners are allowed on the track with the runners.
6. Following your runner's race, your child will find you in the designated parent viewing area. You are free to stay and watch the remainder of the races or depart if so desired.
7. Have fun and cheer for all runners because, “Finishing is Winning!”