Coach Catie started running at age 12 as a way to spend more time with her mom, an avid runner. She went on to run competitively in middle school, high school and college as a Northwestern University Wildcat. In track she ran the 1,600 meters, 3,200 meters, 800 meters and 3,200 meter relay. She coached high school track and cross country for Regina Dominican High School in Wilmette, IL, including several athletes who went on to compete at the collegiate level. Catie enjoys running, hiking, basketball and swimming, especially with her 5 kids! Her favorite part of Landsharks is seeing her runners grow and have fun.
The Landsharks Running Club develops young athletes in positive, safe, character-based programs. The focus is on having fun, improving personal skills, being an encouraging teammate, making new friends, and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
All coaches are background checked and first aid certified.
The Meadow View Elementary and World Compass Academy chapter of the Landsharks Running Club is open to K-6 students and all other local schools that do not have their own Landsharks program. Landsharks Running Club is not sponsored by Meadow View Elementary or World Compass Academy as an official club/after school activity.
Landsharks parents can use the SportsEngine mobile application to receive text updates, view the schedule and locations of events. The SportsEngine app can be downloaded from the Apple App Store or Google Play. Once installed, search for Meadow View ES/World Compass Academy.
Runners will assemble at the picnic pavilion at the north end of the park, near the pool. During practice, we will warm-up, complete our workout and games, cool down, and be released to the same assembly area. Please pick up your runner by 5:00 pm. Please have your child bring a water bottle, labeled with his/her name on it, to every practice!
Practices are cancelled if the wind chill is under 30 degrees, and/or if it is actively snowing or raining. You will receive a notification via the SportsEngine app or text message if practice is cancelled.
Practices are held at Butterfield Park in the Meadows from 4 - 5 p.m. Our first practice will be Wednesday, Sept. 8, and subsequent practices will be Wednesdays and Fridays (different from years past)!
We encourage runners to change out of their school attire into running clothes before practice begins, if possible.
Dress for the weather:
55 degrees and warmer - Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts, and optional running hat.
45-54 degrees - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, shorts or sweat pants.
44 degrees and cooler - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, sweat pants, running hat/head band and gloves. If it is windy, dress one cooler level down.
Runners should have proper running shoes for practices and meets. Spikes (special racing shoes) are not recommended. Running shoes are sold at many stores; however, Runner's Roost in Lone Tree is our sponsor store and provides a discount to Landsharks participants, coaches and parents.
Meets are tentatively scheduled at Castle View High School on Sundays at 2 pm on the following dates:
RUNNERS SHOULD ARRIVE BY 1:30 P.M.
Our schedule of events
1:30 Runners and Coaches Arrive
1:35 Coaches Meeting
1:40 Parent Volunteers meet the Site Director for course assignments
1:55 Star Spangled Banner
2:00 Races Begin
Kindergarten - 1st Grade - 1/2 mile
2nd - 6th Grade - 1 mile OR 1.5 mile
***Heats will be determined by Site Director on race day***
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.
In order to create a safe environment for our Landshark runners and families, please adhere to the following guidelines for our races. These guidelines are in place to help keep our races organized and fun for the kids and parents.
Peyton, Henry, and Lucy enjoy post-race Kona Ice