Please have your child wear appropriate running shoes, clothing, and bring a water bottle labeled with his/her name on it to every practice!
Practices are cancelled or moved inside if the wind chill is under 30 degrees, and/or if it is physically snowing or raining. Please sign up for messages from Sports Engine so we can let you know if we have cancelled or moved practice.
Dress for Success: Runners need to dress according to the weather. We encourage them to change out of their school attire into running clothes before practice begins.
55 degrees and warmer - Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts, and optional running hat.
45-54 degrees - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, shorts or sweat pants.
44 degrees and cooler - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, sweat pants, running hat/head band and gloves. If it is windy, dress one cooler level down.
Running shoes: We will train at the school. We encourage you to purchase running shoes for your runner(s). Please check your child’s current running shoes for wear. Expect to pay at least $50 for a good shoe that will last for the fall and spring series if worn just for running. Buy them a little large, not tight. The Colorado Running Company at University Village is sponsoring our program and providing a 15% discount for Landshark runners who mention that they are part of Landsharks.
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.
In order to create a safe environment for our Landshark runners and families, please adhere to the following guidelines for our races. These guidelines are in place to help keep our races organized and fun for the kids and parents.