I am so excited to be coaching Lone Tree Elementary's Landsharks Spring Track program! I have a 5th grader running with Landsharks and one running in middle school. I ran competitively in high school and college, When I signed my kids up for Landsharks the first time it is was to give them a group sport that was also individual enough for them to make it their own - and I never wanted them to think that they couldn't be runners. My kids participate in other sports but I know that running can improve performance across all sports. Running lets each person make what they want out of it. I can't wait to see how each kid makes it their own! It is going to be a great Spring season!
Lone Tree Elementary Landsharks
The Lone Tree Elementary chapter of the Landsharks Running Club is open to K-6 students.
The Landsharks Running Club develops young athletes in positive, safe, character-based programs.
The focus is on having fun, improving personal skills, being an encouraging teammate, making new friends, and promoting a healthy lifestyle.
How to download the Sports Engine App
Wednesday, September 6th
**Mondays and Wednesdays**
**Optional Practices on some Fridays - TBD**
Practices are in the field next to Lone Tree Elementary
Kids meet at the picnic shelter
Dress for Success: Runners need to dress according to the weather. We encourage them to change out of their school attire into running clothes before practice begins.
55 degrees and warmer - Running shoes, t-shirt, shorts, and optional running hat.
45-54 degrees - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, shorts or sweat pants.
44 degrees and cooler - Running shoes, t-shirt, sweatshirt/windbreaker, sweat pants, running hat/head band and gloves. If it is windy, dress one cooler level down.
Running shoes: We will train on the areas around the school. We encourage you to purchase running shoes for your runner(s). Please check your child’s current running shoes for wear. Expect to pay at least $50 for a good shoe that will last for the fall and spring series if worn just for running. Buy them a little large, not tight. We have two running stores sponsoring our program and providing a discount for Landshark runners: Colorado Running Company in Colorado Springs and the Runner’s Roost in Lone Tree.
Meets will be held on Monday evenings at Saddle Ranch Elementary at 6:00 pm on the following:
October 2nd - Cancelled
Make Up Meet Saturday, October 7th at 2:00 pm
Schedule of events
Runners and Coaches Arrive
Parent Volunteers meet the Site Director for specific course assignments
Star Spangled Banner
K-1st/2nd: 1/2 mile
2nd-6th: 1 mile or 1.5 mile
***Heats will be decided by Site Director on meet day***
Landsharks Lightning Policy
1. We will monitor the weather via the Weather Bug App with Spark Function.
2. Activities shall be immediately suspended and all personnel directed to move to a safe area when the meter indicates lightning is within a 8-mile radius. Activities shall remain suspended until the device indicates there is no longer lightning within a 8-mile radius.
3. If the device fails or connectivity is poor, we will suspend activity when cloud-to-ground lightning is observed OR thunder is heard. We will quickly direct staff, participants and athletes to pre-determined shelter(s).
4. Once the practice/race has been suspended, we will wait at least 20 minutes after the last thunder or flash of lightning is witnessed, prior to resuming.
5. Any subsequent thunder or lightning, after the beginning of the 20-minute count, reset the clock and another 20-minute count should begin.
6. Please share the safety plan with others picking up your athlete.
7. Understand the evacuation process depending on the site lay out.
In order to create a safe environment for our Landshark runners and families, please adhere to the following guidelines for our races. These guidelines are in place to help keep our races organized and fun for the kids and parents.
Cross Country Meet at Redstone Park